There are things in this life that tend to go unnoticed by so many of us. One of these things are hands. We use our hands how many times a day? Have you ever stopped and looked at someone's hands?
The above picture was taken at the diner where I waitress. The gentleman about to sip his fresh, hot coffee has been around for somewhere near 80 years. His parents met, married and reproduced in the little town that I live in. Jim was a dishwasher for a short period of time at the diner in which this photo was taken. He was also a pressman at the local newspaper. Purple is his favorite color, and happened to be the favorite color of his late wife. Now Jim occupies his time helping at the Wayne County Historical Society, contributing items, stories and ideas to bring local history to everyone willing to listen.
That is just a quick minute read of the many amazing years this man has been through. His hands are still strong, his voice is gruff and raspy from years of smoking. He has a laugh that brings a smile to my face every time I hear it. He has so many stories to tell, that I threaten him with a tape recorder often. Perhaps I should just pick one up, and go bug him. :)
Take a few minutes next time you are at a restaurant... or some other gathering place, and look at people's hands.. notice them.. and try to decide for yourself.. what those hands been through. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment